Sunday, December 29, 2013

Oh, Fransson! -- The Cat Quilt Along

Image of THE CAT QUILT pdf quilt pattern

I copied these instructions from Oh Franson! blog.  I think this cat quilt is a very cute use of scraps to use in my 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

To make the 30" x 35" quilt, you will need:
   

Solid Fabric for Cat Faces25 charm squares 5” x 5” each, or assorted solid fabric scraps, or 1/2 yard of a single solid fabric
Print Fabric for Cat Faces
Assorted scraps 1½” wide and larger to coordinate with the solid fabrics.
Background Solid Fabric1 yard of a neutral solid quilting cotton, chambray, or linen blend, at least 42” wide. I used Essex yarn-dyed cotton/linen in Indigo.
Low-Loft Batting
33” x 38” (A piece this size can be cut from 1 yard of batting from a roll or a Craft Size package of Warm and White or Warm and Natural.)
Quilt Back
1 yard piece of fabric cut to 36” x 41” or a pieced back measuring 36” x 41”
Binding Fabric
3/8 yard, cut into 4 strips 2½” x width of fabric for straight-grain double-fold binding 


Cutting Instructions for Background Solid Fabric
Cut 4 strips 3½” x width of fabric and subcut into:
  • 2 vertical border strips 3½” x 29½” each
  • 2 horizontal border strips 3½” x 30½” each 
Cut 2 strips 4½” x width of fabric and subcut into:
  • 25 ear unit pieces 2” x 4½” each
Cut 6 strips 1½” x width of fabric and subcut into:
  • 4 horizontal sashing pieces 1½” x 24½” each
  • 20 vertical sashing pieces 1½” x 5½” each
From the remaining fabric, cut:
  • 50 chin pieces 1½” x 1½” each

4 comments:

KMSC said...

I love this cat quilt. I printed out the patterns from Elizabeth's website. Hopefully, I will stitch a few cat faces per week. I'll be watching your progress, too.

Julianne said...

OMG! You are so sweet! You are making me a kitty quilt!! I love you friend!! LOL!

Kathy S. said...

Shoot! Spoiled the surprise... LOL.

Julianne said...

Baaaaahhhahahahaahahhaah! Love ya girl!